Friday, November 9

6 Days Left: Health

Healthy food.

One of my roommates once asked me how I would ever find a wife that doesn't like chocolate. Dating questions, especially ones like that one, make me feel like I have a frog in my throat. As I tried to gather my thoughts and figure out what to say, another roommate thankfully came to my rescue. "This is Mormon Guy we're talking about - not just anyone. I'm sure there are tons of girls who would give up chocolate to be with him. I know I would if I were a girl."

That saved me and put the issue to rest.

But it didn't answer the question in my mind. What would I do? My roommates didn't know the irony of their question - finding a wife in the first place was going to take a miracle. Finding one whose eating habits fit mine? Um.

I'm one of those crazy healthy people. It's been a long, circuitous journey, but right now the eating part of my lifestyle consists of these ingredients: vegan (no meat/milk/egg/fish), whole grain (no refined grains), no sugar or caloric sugar substitutes (sugar/honey/agave), extremely limited added fats (olive oil), and no fried food, with a focus on raw and cooked vegetables.

Yeah. A bit eccentric.

The other essential parts: daily exercise, 8 hours of sleep, writing each day, and trying to find ways to serve others to relieve stress.

Hence why my roommate would be concerned about my future dating life.

There are plenty of healthy, amazing women in the world. Finding someone who eats the way I do, though, isn't really what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for someone who is committed to improving every aspect of her life to serve God, and isn't too attached to any certain food to do so. Would I be willing to give up pasta sauce (one of my favorite foods) if I found that it was deeply unhealthy? Yeah. Moderately unhealthy? Yeah... I think so. Only a slight bit unhealthy - but there's always a better option? I would hope so. And that's what I'm lookin for. Have I found the ideal diet? No. I'm still searching. Would I be willing to change if I found compelling evidence counter to what I do today, along with a spiritual prompting in that direction? Definitely.

At least for me, eating is part of my worship. What I eat has a direct, immediate, and lasting effect on my brain and blood chemistry, which in turn influences my ability to hear and feel the Spirit. It's more than just food and health and taste and sociality. It's part of my relationship with God. And as long as the girl I fall in love with is okay with that, or willing to learn it for herself, we'll be good.

6 comments:

  1. I totally want to eat that way too. Kudos to you for getting there! I am still giving up one thing at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Your diet sounds like how I have to eat. I am allergic to sugar and that is pretty much in everything so, I eat how you eat because I have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mormon Guy, I'm Cupcakette and I wanted to introduce myself before I put my two cents in, so hi. :)

    When I met my husband I was a vegan, well 6 days out of the week at least. I pretty much ate fresh fruits and veggies, a little vegan dressing, vegan "ice cream", etc... you get the idea. I'm a juicer/wheat grass drinker as well.

    He was a meat eating, pasta & fast-food consuming all-American guy.

    But we worked around it, when we had dinner at his place he would accommodate my diet by making me a big salad and sticking a vegan patty of some sort in the oven for me.

    Cue to a few years later, we aren't quite on the same page but he became a vegetarian earlier this year and stops for fast food (dries & Coke) no more than once a month.

    But as in all things, be patient and lead by example. There are girls out there that want a guy with a diet like yours, except I don't know any girl that would give up chocolate. So why you most likely won't find me eating Hershey's bars I will occasionally buy the raw chocolates at the health food stores.... Compromise. :D

    P.S. Good job on what you are doing, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MG- I've always had this question for a vegan... How do you feel it relates to the Word of Wisdom? The scriptures say that meat is for our nutrition and to eat it (albeit sparingly). From my naive point of view, I have always thought that Vegans feel like they are "above the law" I guess... If the scriptures say to do it, why not do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Word of Wisdom was "adapted to the weak and the weakest of all saints."

      That's an implicit request to come to God and figure out the adaptation that fits us when we want to grow from being the weakest of all saints.

      Any health improvement past what the Word of Wisdom clearly delineates will come from God on a personal level. That's what happened for me with veganism and the rest of my lifestyle... and what happens with everyone who tries to constantly improve their understanding.

      Delete
  5. No woman would have to give up chocolate. That's what compromise is about. And growing together. Besides, as cliche as it may sound, for the right person you become willing to see, understand, and love them as they are. That includes eating habits, sleeping habits, social habits, and just about everything else. If they can't learn to live with it, (and it isn't a question of keeping your covenants), they aren't the right one. As some one who has looked for a long time--there is some one. Eventually, you will find them and it will be truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Rules:

(G)MG is how I write to you. Commenting is one way to write to me.

If you want your comment published: No swearing, graphic content, name-calling of any kind, or outbound links to anything but official Church sites.

In addition, comments must be 100% relevant, funny, uplifting, helpful, friendly... well-written, concise, and true. Disparaging comments often don't meet those standards. Comments on (G)MG are personal notes to me, not part of a comment war. You are not entitled to have your ideas hosted on my personal blog. There are a zillion places for that, and only one (G)MG.

And I'd suggest writing your comment in Word and pasting it. That way Blogger won't eat it if it's over the word limit.