Monday, September 27

Scripture Power!

... keeps me safe from sin.

I love Primary songs.

The first time I heard the song "Scripture Power" was years after I had graduated from Primary. Someone had asked me to come help set up chairs in the chapel, and I overheard the children in my ward singing as they prepared for the Primary program a few days later. The words of the song were incredibly compelling and have stayed with me since then.

Because I want to be like the Savior and I can,
I'm reading His instructions, I'm following His plan.
Because I want the power His word will give to me,
I'm changing how I live; I'm changing what I'll be.

Scripture power! Keeps me safe from sin
Scripture power! It's the power to win
Scripture power! Every day I need
the power that I get each time I read.

I'll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.
I'll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.
I'll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord,
And fight my daily battles, and win a great reward.


Scripture power! Keeps me safe from sin
Scripture power! It's the power to win
Scripture power! Every day I need 
the power that I get each time I read.

(Scripture Power, Copyright 2004 Clive Romney. All rights reserved. 
This song may be copied for incidental, noncommercial home, or church use. 
This notice must be included on each copy made.)

In the last few months I've found greater meaning in my personal commitment to read the scriptures (especially the Book of Mormon) every single day without fail. And the strength it has given me is amazing. I feel uplifted, guided, and loved when I am reading them. And, somehow, I feel that what the prophets wrote thousands of years ago... was written for me, in my life - even the part of me that's attracted to guys. In the light of the scriptures, everything becomes possible. Yes, it's hard to live a faithful life, keep the hope that God will fulfill His promises to help me have an eternal family, and deal with constant issues each day... but it's possible. And, with the perspective of the scriptures, it's also possible to be happy while doing it.

I don't always find the time to read for half an hour, or even 20 minutes. But I find time to read, no matter what. If I get home and it's 1:30 in the morning, I take the time to read my scriptures. My secret? Every time the Lord reminds me to read my scriptures, I stop whatever I am doing. Every single time. No matter what. It doesn't matter if I am exhausted or already in bed or at work or whatever. I go read my scriptures. And the scriptures are a part of who I am.

I ask the Lord to help me remember, and He does. I take them with me in the morning and sometimes there is a lull in the frantic pace of my life - and I read under a tree or in my car. I get to the temple and there's a wait, so I read while waiting. It has become easier with time to find / make time to read.

It almost sounds odd that just reading the scriptures can bring happiness when life is hard. But that's what they do for me. They fill me with a sense of peace and hope - and the fear and anxiety that surround my trials disappear. They give me perspective, and open my mind to true revelation from God. Reading the scriptures, every single day, is worth it. The power that they bring is worth losing another 30 minutes of sleep, being late on homework (or sometimes late to work), or even missing part of a conversation with friends or family. Reading the scriptures each day is worth more than anything else I could be doing...  Scripture Power - every day I need the power that I get each time I read.

5 comments:

  1. I agree! I think that reading my scriptures daily is the only thing that keeps me sane these days. I have seminary every morning, so reading and studying the scriptures that early is such a great start to the day and it really lingers throughout school. "The power that I get each time I read" has a sort of literal meaning to me in that it helps me stay awake and focused for the day =D And, at night, when I'm physically drained, it is a good note to end on in that I feel the spirit more keenly in times of weakness (aka, when I can barely keep my eyes open).

    ReplyDelete
  2. TubaGirl: I agree completely. Seminary is definitely divinely inspired. Waking up early during one of the hardest times of life and diligently studying the scriptures each day is probably one of the only ways to actually survive high school. I know that statement is true in my respect. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite primary song! Fist pump is mandatory for the chorus :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your commitment to scripture reading is apparent in your posts. I'm enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100%. The scriptures and prayer have helped me get through every trial and struggle in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Rules:

(G)MG is how I write to you. Commenting is one way to write to me.

If you want your comment published: No swearing, graphic content, name-calling of any kind, or outbound links to anything but official Church sites.

In addition, comments must be 100% relevant, funny, uplifting, helpful, friendly... well-written, concise, and true. Disparaging comments often don't meet those standards. Comments on (G)MG are personal notes to me, not part of a comment war. You are not entitled to have your ideas hosted on my personal blog. There are a zillion places for that, and only one (G)MG.

And I'd suggest writing your comment in Word and pasting it. That way Blogger won't eat it if it's over the word limit.