Monday, October 4

More Thoughts on General Conference

I love the acoustics of the Tabernacle. And the hard benches. It makes it so much easier to hear the speakers and stay alert. I think I like it even better than sitting in the Conference Center itself - but maybe that's because I usually end up sitting on the sides anyway.

Either way, the inspiration I gained at General Conference was amazing, and already I am seeing a change in my life.

I went to conference wondering what to do with some of the pieces of my life. While I was there, a friend gave me some random, unsolicited advice. He had been driving down the street and felt strongly impressed to tell me to follow my dreams and do things that I love. The advice was well-timed, as today was easily one of the worse days in the last few weeks of my life. I'm in a rough situation right now, and I wondered whether I should stick it out through the pain or just leave. As I pondered the options in my mind, a third, better option came to mind. Try to fix the problem. ...and now the problem is that much closer to being fixed for me and the people who will follow in my footsteps.

I find that the Lord sees problems with a much broader perspective than I do. Where it may seem like an issue has only two solutions, He helps me think of a third. And His choice is almost always better. Where it seems like finding an answer is hopeless, He simply guides me in the direction I need to go. And when I feel like there's no reason to move forward, He lifts me and assures me that I am loved. Yeah, life is hard. And even following the guidance of the Lord, it's hard. It may even be harder. But it's worth it... because it changes my life every single day.

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog by accident maybe a week ago and I've been trying to catch up since then. I've also been meaning to comment but haven't known what to say.

    I still don't, so I'll just say this; you inspire me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think about what President Packer said, and all the backlash? Or have you heard about the backlash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill: Thanks for your comment. I'm grateful that I can write and share my story... and I hope that the Spirit can inspire everyone who reads here to come closer to Christ. Welcome to the conversation at (Gay) Mormon Guy.

    Lauren: I'll write a post about it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Rules:

(G)MG is how I write to you. Commenting is one way to write to me.

If you want your comment published: No swearing, graphic content, name-calling of any kind, or outbound links to anything but official Church sites.

In addition, comments must be 100% relevant, funny, uplifting, helpful, friendly... well-written, concise, and true. Disparaging comments often don't meet those standards. Comments on (G)MG are personal notes to me, not part of a comment war. You are not entitled to have your ideas hosted on my personal blog. There are a zillion places for that, and only one (G)MG.

And I'd suggest writing your comment in Word and pasting it. That way Blogger won't eat it if it's over the word limit.